It’s Facebook IPO day.
If you work at Facebook it’s gotta be a thrilling day. Even more so if you’re a newly minted millionaire.
But what about the rest of us? If you’re in the startup world, you may be pondering when it will be your turn to feel that thrill.
As the Facebook IPO swirls around us, here are some of the things I’m reminding myself:
* Success is when you create something that people enjoy and want to use. The financial success is welcome, but it’s not what fuels the drive and the passion.
* Success alone is both sad and boring. Don’t mistake success for everything and make sure the people you care about will be there to share the success.
* You don’t have to please everyone. If they don’t help or even worse, if they hinder you, don’t waste energy on them.
* Spend as much time as you can with the people that inspire you and help you grow. Make sure they know the effect they have on you.
* Get your ideas out of your head. Talk to people about them, build and experiment with them. Be willing to change, abandon or double down on them.
* Have a pirate’s appetite for treasure and adventure, but make sure your fight is directed at what you’re building, not the people around you.